The holiday season is long gone and the winter blues have officially set in. Instead of sitting around anxiously waiting for spring, throw down like you’re in the Big Easy and host a killer Mardi Gras party.
Folks in New Orleans party for two months, beginning January 6 thru Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras day, which falls on March 5. All of this leading up to Lent, the season of reflection and restriction. While two months of partying and indulgence is only a fantasy for most of us, this easy-to-follow guide will help pack all the Carnival season fun into one day!
- Decorate your space with classic Mardi Gras colors of Green, Purple, and Gold.
- Use balloons, streamers, and crêpe paper to cover walls and surfaces. Try to replicate the feeling of Mardi Gras floats. If you have a stairwell leading up to your apartment hang some decorations leading up to your door. Create some excitement for your guests as they make their assent.
- Pump classic New Orleans brass band music, called Zydeco, into the room.
- Have plenty of Mardi Gras beads on hand. Deck your guests out in them as they come thru the door and use whats left over to amplify your decor.
- Move any furniture to the perimeter of the room. Your might even consider covering sofas and chairs with green, purple and gold fabric.
- Ask guest to come dressed in their most gaudy and lavish outfit. The more color the better. Anything goes here – sparkles, boas, jewelry, hats you name it! The louder the better.
- Masks are famous Mardi Gras accessories. Either give masks to your guests as party favors or ask each person come with one on. You could even hand out an award for the guest with the most creative mask.
- Classic costume ideas include: jesters, kings, queens.