All great things must come to an end. Even great parties. It’s always a good idea to have some exit strategies in your back pocket for guests who show no sign of leaving. If you are ready to party till the sun comes up then this is not an issue. But when you need to call it a night, follow these suggestions.
- Close the Bar – Put away any liquor, beer and wine. Make sure you leave out plenty of water for those who might have overindulged. They will appreciate the extra hydration before they hit the road.
- Turn off the Music- This is usually a great way to break up a party. Once things quiet down, people will begin to filter out.
- Start Cleaning Up- As the host, once people see you cleaning they will get the cue it’s time to get a move on.
- Be Direct- For those guests who still aren’t getting the clue it’s closing time, try saying something like, “Look at the time! I have an early meeting (yoga class, doctors appointment,etc). Let’s call it a night.”
- Turn off the Lights- If all else fails, shut it down!